Progress August-September




September 26





Style Changes- September 23
I have decided that the style I was experiemtning with was not was I was looking for. It was too realistic and the colors were not limited enough on my palette. I wanted something simpler the showcased more line work and patterns. I decided to work on a completely different style, learning from the previous illustration of the empress. I want to keep things like the coral and water texture, but I would like to focus less on the value of objects or the shadows. With these new illustrations I imply shadow with lines rather than a change in color value. 





Design Samples and Experimental Renderings- September 19







More Sketches for Card Concepts- September 12

I was going through the cards individually and sketching some concepts according to the name of the card and the Tarot meaning. I don't have all of them yet, but they are coming along. 





Sketches and Concept Art- September 11 

       I was thinking a lot about color schemes and different symbols that would be in these cards. 
I feel like I want to stay true to the original symbols of the Major Arcana tarot cards, but with a "nautical twist" I guess that is the best way of putting it... I would like to include different sea creatures and other marine life motifs. I would like to reference Jules Verne's illustrations from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I would even like to pull symbolism from Moby Dick, since the client's logo includes a whale. 
     I am still figuring out where I want to include the musical aspect of the illustrations. I have places an ipod inside the skeleton, but maybe I want to represent it some other way. I am using some photos I took from Damien Hirst's show "Treasures from the Wreck Unbelievable", which I saw in Venice this summer. The detail of the coral and barnacles are something I really loved from his show. I want to explore that aspect further in the illustrations. I would also like to incorporate a watercolor brush affect where possible to add to the "under the sea" style. 





PROJECT BRIEF- September 7





IMAGE MAP -September 4
     There are certain designs that really interest me. I have noticed that those which do have a very limited color palette. They are either monochromatic or are black and white with a subtle accent color. I like this approach because the focal point and meaning of each Tarot card will be much easier to identify at first glance. 



INITIAL PROPOSAL -August 31


   This is an excerpt from my sketchbook on my iPad about a concept I have for illustrating my own tarot cards. Each card in the Major Arcana in a basic deck has a name and figure representing what the card's fortune entails. The Minor Arcana are similar in that they have meanings tied to their symbols and numerical value.

   I would like to illustrate the first 22 Major Arcana. If I need to focus on just a few for this project due to a time restraint, then that would have to be something to consider.